Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

5th Gen 2.2 Vti spares or I hope repairs

Selling a car? Stick it in this section
PoohBear
My Generation: 5G

5th Gen 2.2 Vti spares or I hope repairs

Post by PoohBear » Sat May 20, 2017 11:12 am

Issues with engine, I have not had this fully looked at but it does look like it's more and likely the valves on the engine that have gone, I don't have the time to do the repairs my self and the cost for me is more than the car is worth at a garage.

Year 2000, 2.2 Vti Auto . (Note: The number plate is NOT included. (should be V plate)), I have had since new, fully service history, this is it's 2nd engine, there is about 135,000 miles on the clock, the second engine went in at about 40,000 miles (supplied and fitted by Honda).

MOT until 21st May 2018 <- Really sad as it was only MOT'ed and Serviced a few weeks ago..... :shock:

As a whole the car is clean, there is a bit of bubbling rust on the rear wheel arch (on the outside).

Really hope that someone takes it for repairs but if for spares so be it..

Price: Please make me an offer...

Edit: The car is in Sandhurst, Berskhire

Oh yeah there is a battery for it, I took it out to charge it as the garage flattened it.

PoohBear

Post by PoohBear » Mon May 29, 2017 12:32 pm

Wow no takers... off to the scrap yard she goes then....

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Mon May 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Woah, this post hadn't featured in my read of the forum recently, so I guess it might not have in a few others.

Car looks pretty good overall - do you know the engine was originally replaced at 40k?
What model engine did they fit as a replacement (was it an H22A5)?

What makes you think it has damaged valves?
I can see the rocker cover is off in the pics - what investigation work has been carried out on it and by whom?
Any problems with the gearbox at all?

PoohBear

Post by PoohBear » Tue May 30, 2017 8:17 am

wurlycorner wrote:Woah, this post hadn't featured in my read of the forum recently, so I guess it might not have in a few others.

Car looks pretty good overall - do you know the engine was originally replaced at 40k?
What model engine did they fit as a replacement (was it an H22A5)?

What makes you think it has damaged valves?
I can see the rocker cover is off in the pics - what investigation work has been carried out on it and by whom?
Any problems with the gearbox at all?
I know the engine was replace as I had it done, I could not tell you what the model number was I assumed it was replaced like for like, this was done at a Honda dealership (I still have all the receipts, in fact I have all the paper work for this car as I have had her since new ).

With regards to the engine, one of the big end bearing exploded, the quote I got back was something like, 3400 to strip down and decontaminate the engine or 3800 for new bottom end, I went for the new bottom end, they fitted the new bottom end, then on starting one of the pistons damaged the top of the engine (sorry I'm not a mechanic so don't larf too much on how I'm describing things), but what I got out of it was a whole new engine.

The car is now run by my wife and she broke down coming home, when you turn it over it just spins really fast, the garage I took it to said it seams like there is no compression and think it's the values, they gave me a quote for what they think it would cost (max) and a quote to take the head off for further investigation, I just decided enough was enough as it was going to cost more than it's worth. They car also had a mishap on getting to the garage and the steering pipe (there is a pipe a the front by the rad.) at the front was damaged.

This gearbox has been fine (it's about the 3rd one, the first one went in the first 12/24 months of its life).

All major work was done by a Honda Dealership (I had warranty for the car)

With that said the car has been very reliable over the last 17 years, the only other part I had to really replace was the Cat.
Always sailed through MOT's, it was gutting that she has just been serviced and MOT'ed

The car has also been garaged most days, I do look at her and think sod it I'll pay but I'm trying to move house, where I'm looking to go I know I will need a 4x4 and I also run 2 other vehicles, so more than likely I would have had to let her go regardless.

Lankysod07
XBOX GamerTag: Tumber07

Post by Lankysod07 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:27 pm

I've sent you a private message buddy. Cheers brandon

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Wed May 31, 2017 8:48 am

Sorry typo in my original message...
It should have said... "Do you know why the engine was originally replaced..." which you have now answered anyway, despite my typographical gentleman's sausage up, thanks :)
Sounds odd that they say "seems like no compression" but haven't confirmed that by doing a compression test? That's a piece of body lemonade to do and takes basically no time!

PoohBear

Post by PoohBear » Wed May 31, 2017 11:29 am

wurlycorner wrote:Sorry typo in my original message...
It should have said... "Do you know why the engine was originally replaced..." which you have now answered anyway, despite my typographical gentleman's sausage up, thanks :)
Sounds odd that they say "seems like no compression" but haven't confirmed that by doing a compression test? That's a piece of body lemonade to do and takes basically no time!
Hmm, I have just done a test, results not 100% accurate as my pressure gauge as a bit of spiders web attached to it however

1 ~ 210
2 ~ 210
3 ~ 220
3 ~ 240

So there is pressure....

TBH I thought that they would have tested this hence why they wanted to take the head off...

I might be going mad but today turning the engine over sounded more normal than it did a few weeks ago, where it sound like it was spinning!!!!???? (in fact a couple of weeks ago I thought it was the starter motor just spinning and not engaging but that does not account for why it stopped while my wife was driving it, as she said it just lost power and came to a stop)

Will try and have another look at it today..

mercutio
LotM Winner

Post by mercutio » Wed May 31, 2017 5:34 pm

with a 5g it could be the ignition switch it can do that mine did it on the motorway at 70mph cough cough
bristol_bb4 wrote:ahhh a 5th gen, i love 5th gens :D :lol:
Dino wrote:I loves the 5th gen really.... just dont quote me on it... ;)
4thgenphil wrote:Mines 4 1/4 unches mate, sorry

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... -t618.html

PoohBear

Post by PoohBear » Wed May 31, 2017 6:07 pm

mercutio wrote:with a 5g it could be the ignition switch it can do that mine did it on the motorway at 70mph cough cough
I've check that I'm getting a spark (only checked one), I got a nice whiff of fuel at the same time..

PoohBear

Post by PoohBear » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:31 pm

gone

Return to “Cars for sale”