H22A Maintenance

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
JayJay
My Generation: 4G

Post by JayJay » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:53 pm

Valve clearances are easy, but very time consuming unless you have the proper adjustment tool. It's usually on eBay US for quite cheap, or about 2 - 3 times the price here in the UK (UK car part/tool market is a joke :roll: ).

It's called a jam nut valve adjusting tool!

And whilst it's out might an idea to upgrade the flywheel and clutch, things that are hard to get to when the engine is in! If you're going to be running the EGR valve on the IM I sent you, I'd recommend getting the EGR ports drilled and tapped by Performance Autoworks, for future cleaning :) The IM isn't the easiet thing to remove when the engine is in! (at least on Preludes).
Shiny wrote:I sniff dirty pants.

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016
XBOX GamerTag: jjm349571

Post by jjmartin349571 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:35 am

Cool, I had a look on eBay and it's about £20 to get the tool. Not too bad seeing as I had to pay £17 for a VW tool just to remove 2 C clamps from my exhaust manifold.

Any recommendations with regards to the clutch and flywheel? I found a stage 1 clutch on eBay for £125 which doesn't sound too bad.

Not too sure about the EGR, I'll be using it initially of course, but in the long run I'll be getting a remap and I intend to blank off the EGR and have the map compensate for that. Don't want all that dirty exhaust gas going back through my engine, cold clean air only please :P out of interest how often does the EGR valve need cleaning?

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:28 am

If you're planning on eventually removing it then no worries :) Haven't any idea how often it needs cleaning, I think it's quite a while to be honest, few years maybe. PA gave quite a bit of information on the EGR valve here: http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/post10641.html#p10641

As for the clutch and flywheel, I've got an 8lb Fidanza flywheel which comes well recommended and for the clutch the ATR OEM one is recommended. That, or Exedy OE/Stage 1 (I've got an Exedy OE clutch).

A lighter flywheel makes a massive difference!

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016
XBOX GamerTag: jjm349571

Post by jjmartin349571 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:30 am

Is that the 3.6 kilo fidanza flywheel? I found one on eBay for £170 so I best start saving my pennies lol. I take it the throttle response is much better with a lighter flywheel, however I've heard it does impact the drivability a bit?

I'll have to take a look at how much those clutches cost, I have a feeling I'm going to rapidly become a very poor man lol

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:45 pm

Yeah the 3.6kg one. I got that and the clutch in a group buy a few years ago.

Throttle response is much improved, I wouldn't say it impacts the driveability though, maybe I'm just used to it :lol: I'd say you need a bit more throttle when taking off.

Poorer, but you'll have a bigger grin on your face when driving! :P I think the flywheel and the TEIN suspension (before I switched to BC Racing coilovers) made the biggest noticeable changes.

Return to “Engine / GearBox”