Oil

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
Donald
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 0G

Oil

Post by Donald » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:06 pm

Silly question but it should be relatively easy for one of you lot to answer.

How much oil does it take to fill between the minimum and maximum dots on the dipstick? I've looked a few places and most say about 1L, however I'm curious if that's just a general thing or if it's engine specific?

Second question, if I topped up my oil and in a few seconds of daydreaming/looking at a girl that walked by I accidentally went over by let's say... around ¼ to ⅓ of the min-max distance, I shouldn't really have any problems should I?

:roll:

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:10 pm

It should be a Litre on the Honda. Pretty sure it says that in the manual, so I assume it might vary make to make.

Over-filling isn't good, it's as nasty as under-filling really. In the hypothetical situation above I'd personally drain some till I was back between min and max on the dipstick.
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:12 pm

I think on the Prelude it's 1L.

I found out a while ago and shared my new found knowledge with everyone, only to find out they all already knew :roll:

Was quite pleased with myself when I found that out as well :(
Shiny wrote:I sniff dirty pants.

Donald
Supporter 2015

Post by Donald » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:25 pm

indigolemon wrote:Over-filling isn't good, it's as nasty as under-filling really. In the hypothetical situation above I'd personally drain some till I was back between min and max on the dipstick.
Cheers, I'll make sure to do that if this situation ever occurs ;)

JayJay wrote:I think on the Prelude it's 1L.

I found out a while ago and shared my new found knowledge with everyone, only to find out they all already knew :roll:

Was quite pleased with myself when I found that out as well :(
It's always the way. My dad's a muffin for things like that, I always think I have a new interesting fact for him, but 99% of the time he already knew.

littlefeller

Post by littlefeller » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:36 pm

if it was summer i could understand, but its winter, i would have thought she was all wraped up and as such not mutch to see. :lol: unless she was wigling her ass i supose 8-)

Donald
Supporter 2015

Post by Donald » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:55 pm

littlefeller wrote:if it was summer i could understand, but its winter, i would have thought she was all wraped up and as such not mutch to see. :lol: unless she was wigling her ass i supose 8-)
Tight jeans. I heard her first with her fancy clippety-clop shoes. She lives in the flats opposite me and has a different hairstyle every day.

Anyway after posting here I had a look around... seems a lot of people overfill by 1L for track days, so in theory if I razz around for a bit it'll be fine :lol: a lot of them on Prelude Power/Online/Zone seem to ignore the max mark and just go over by 0.5L for fun.

But in all seriousness I reckon me going over by 0.3-0.5L won't be damaging... I can't take any out til I get to my dad's anyway, which is only ~20miles from me. Can't see it hurting driving that far?

littlefeller

Post by littlefeller » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:22 pm

uuummmm tight jeans and cliperty clop shoes, heaven :twisted:

BMCC
My Generation: 5G

Post by BMCC » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:33 pm

Why would you want to over fill by 0.5L? It will rob power and be bad for the engine. If anything you find that track cars (proper race cars) will try and run with the absolute min of engine oil in there. Graham Bell gives a good explanation in his book 4 stroke performance tuning about why you should not overfill the engine, indeed according to him he would run it underfilled (only though with some testing for surging / extra work on the sump etc to prevent this). One or two lines from the book:

"Having considered the foregoing information (previous paras giving other info) it should be obvious that the sump should never be overfilled , otherwise you are sure to have the crank and rods dipping into the oil every revolution. If that is not bad enough, you will end up with a situation where too much oil is being thrown up the cylinders ; the rings will have to drag it off the walls and that consumes power. If the rings cannot cope with this additional oil load you will have combustion chamber and plug oiling problems, which will affect combustion and rob you of performance"

Is 300ml to much? eh possibly but it is less than 10% overfilled. personally if it was my car I wouldn't be too concerned.

Pictures of the potential engine destroyer are requested for the lads to rate :twisted:

Donald
Supporter 2015

Post by Donald » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:08 pm

Thanks BMCC.

I ended up taking that extra out, just to be on the safe side. +Rep (when I can) for that info.

Return to “Engine / GearBox”