Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

5gen 4ws problems

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:45 pm

Have you tried going back to the original ECU? Could be that your new one is actually faulty?

no0ne
My Generation: 5G

Post by no0ne » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:55 pm

Could be, but my old one has no use since it has error 20 in it. And i have no way of erasing it, becouse if i want to use erasing procedure, 4ws ECU has to know how much the wheel is turned. But it wont know, since steering angle sensor and ECU are not calibrated. And i can not do that, since this damn error is in ECU.. So its like cursed circle :D

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:57 pm

I'm not with you on that one - that would mean every time the sensor failed, you would have to replace the ECU as well. That just does not ring true as the way that Honda would design it. They would design it so that you can replace the sensor (only) and recover the situation.

mercutio
LotM Winner

Post by mercutio » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:12 pm

The sensor on the steering rack and the one on the steering wheel know where they are when fitted there is no pairing procedure
bristol_bb4 wrote:ahhh a 5th gen, i love 5th gens :D :lol:
Dino wrote:I loves the 5th gen really.... just dont quote me on it... ;)
4thgenphil wrote:Mines 4 1/4 unches mate, sorry

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... -t618.html

no0ne

Post by no0ne » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:40 pm

wurlycorner wrote:I'm not with you on that one - that would mean every time the sensor failed, you would have to replace the ECU as well. That just does not ring true as the way that Honda would design it. They would design it so that you can replace the sensor (only) and recover the situation.
I was hoping that was the case and there has to be some kind of shortcut, but here i am on this forum asking questions.
mercutio wrote:The sensor on the steering rack and the one on the steering wheel know where they are when fitted there is no pairing procedure
But since you can rotate steering wheel sensor infinitely, you have to set zero point for this thing, so ECU knows what voltage is zero point, and up or down in voltage is left or right.

K30DPC
LotM Winner

Post by K30DPC » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:18 am

This sensor you are talking about doesn't send any voltage but pulses. More less like ABS sensors. One of them pulses is much longer then any others. The same situation is with front and rear rack sensors. Now all of them long pulses have to be sent to ECU at the same time and this is known as a zero position. Sensors itself are just a simple coil and strong magnet and doesn't contain any electronics inside. So there is no pairing. Only mechanical alignment.

So first you have to set the sensor in correct position, the easiest way is in manual, but you need old fashion analog multimeter, and then you should be able to do reset. I'm not telling that you are wrong what you say about fault memory but even if there was no fault but sensor is out of position it will throw one stright away

no0ne

Post by no0ne » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:50 pm

Well i thought it was electronic device, since it has plug to it. So what is your point then? Do i need to physically set sensor in certain position before messing with procedure for zero position?

K30DPC
LotM Winner

Post by K30DPC » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:51 pm

no0ne wrote:physically set sensor in certain position before messing with procedure for zero position?
This what I would do. System is constantly testing itself. And if will find anything then will throw an orange light.

Also reset procedure is using all sensors etc to clear faults. So if (which we will probably agree on it) your main sensor is out of home position it make it imposible to happen. It's so much easier on 4gen. I'm pulling out a fuse and job jobbed.

Check the manual as on 5th it may be different. On 4th gen honda is using some magical box for sensor alignment. Posibly expensive as f... and not available to buy at the same time. I have used analog multimeter (the one with needle) and pluged it between ground and one of the pins on 4WS computer. Don't ask which pin was it as it was some time ago. Then going from full left to right turn with the same speed (I mean turning steering wheel, not driving :mrgreen: ) i was watching for longest impuls. Needle is trawelling between 0 and IIRC 5volt. It wasn't easy and I needed few runs but it is possible. Then gently pull out the steering wheel without turning it left or right, mark sensor position and remove it. After this you have to set your wheels in exactly straight position and install everything back on.

I know it is not like honda does it, and rather home made or DIY, but how many magical boxes we have on this forum? My local honda garage can't even do proper wheel alignment and never heard about locking pin so I don't expect them to have this box as well

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:45 pm

K30DPC wrote: Check the manual as on 5th it may be different
This is where we have a problem on 5g's... IIRC the only service manual available is a USDM one and the yanks didn't get 4ws on 5g's.

K30DPC
LotM Winner

Post by K30DPC » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:48 am

Didn't know that. It's only another reason why 4gen is better :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”