Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

4WS Not working. Some debugging already done SOLVED

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
AeroNotix
My Generation: 5G

Post by AeroNotix » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:37 pm

Scott560 I can get the front neutral alignment "done" half reliably.

Here are the front alignment steps: I've done a semi-decent pass at translating them here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ev0 ... aExwE/edit

When setting the front I can only really get it to "remember" it sometimes. For example the second neutral front alignment steps require that you turn on the ignition, pull the handbrake twice, turn the wheel a touch to the right until the light goes off, return to the middle, see the light come on, turn to the left until it goes off. Repeat once more. Put the wheel in the middle and pull the handbrake once. The light should flash 5 times if it has been saved correctly and continuously and quickly flash if there is an error (which it then tells you to repeat the above steps). What I get is those five flashes, followed by a continuous quick flashing light. Which one is it Prelude?! Did it work or not.

I'll just keep going with it and see where I get. I'm really hoping I am just doing something incredibly out of order with the neutral alignment. I've heard from a few guys locally that they were stuck doing the neutral alignment for a week until it finally "took".

Some tips on doing it for a 5g would be appreciated if anyone has accomplished it!

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:42 pm

Ill read over all the document this evening and see if we can find something!

Perhaps there is a certain 'offset' that the sub angle (digital/rotary) sensor must be in in relation to the main angle sensor before it can be zeroed correctly?

Also, if its sensitive enough, perhaps the front wheels needs to be raised to prevent tyre elasticity adjusting the position when you move your hands to do the hand brake part?

I've only ever done the reset procedure which was fiddly at first but had to be performed surprisingly quickly to take.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

AeroNotix

Post by AeroNotix » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:38 am

I really appreciate all the responses and words of encouragement but I need to pack it up for a short while.

The nights are dropping to -5c and it's just getting worse and I don't want to leave my EP3 outside in the ice and snow. Not to mention I can't fit the whole Lude in my garage so I need to hang its arse end out and that means I'm basically working outside in that temperature!

I've got everything back together now and will re-attempt when it gets slightly warmer and perhaps after I've lured a few local Prelude heads around with the offer of beer and vodka.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:35 pm

We'll be looking out for updates :D

AeroNotix

Post by AeroNotix » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:59 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaand Happy New Year everyone! Hope everyone had a good holiday.

I took the Prelude to a nearby Honda garage as I figured I needed an actual mechanical alignment. They aligned the four wheels as per the Honda book and then ran through the same electronic alignment as I had.

After a few tries and some head scratching eventually it all came together!

I've got to say... it's a DIFFERENT CAR! The steering is tighter, the car feels more composed nearer the limit and on the initial turn in OH JESUS it's amazing. I thank everyone for the help here.

Now I have time I will continue translating the debugging routines and post them here.

ABOVE ALL - GET A PROPER ALIGNMENT BEFORE STARTING ANYTHING!

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Sweet, I'm glad for you. 4WS is amazing!

AeroNotix

Post by AeroNotix » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:12 pm

I'm really pleased. Previously the fiance didn't want to drive the Prelude at all. She couldn't put her finger exactly on why but now with the 4WS working she was absolutely beaming about it when she got out! We're doing a Krakow to Warsaw drive on Friday in it! Was going to go in her Peugeot but SO GLAD we don't have to now.

AeroNotix

Post by AeroNotix » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:17 pm

Just done 500km trip today. At reasonable speeds it feels much better even in a straight line. Not sure if that's just in my head but definitely feels better.

Above 200kph is when it starts to get weird and not feel normal. Will take a look at my suspension first to because it's lowered and on the original dampers. Also on 17s. Thinking these will contribute at least something to the weird feeling at high speed. If not I can live with keeping it tame and safe under 200kph.

no0ne

Post by no0ne » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:20 pm

Are you comparing prelude with 4ws working and not, or prelude before and after allingment?

AeroNotix

Post by AeroNotix » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:10 pm

The alignment difference was absolutely minuscule and was more a case of things being out of whack mechanically/electronically rather than the alignment being genuinely bad.

I'm comparing it before and after with the 4ws working.

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”