Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

ATR carriers and Discs upgrade.

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
crxdriver
My Generation: 5G

ATR carriers and Discs upgrade.

Post by crxdriver » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:16 pm

Just for anyone that is interested. I recently upgraded the ludes brakes as they was fading. I paid £20 for some ATR (accord type r) carriers. They bolted right up with the standard prelude caliper. No need to bleed. Then the ATR discs also was a straight bolt on which cost about £100 with ATR pads (also fit right in the lude calipers). The performance is greatly improved.

Differences in the disc is the reason.
282mm old to 300mm new is a 6.5% increase in size therefore leverage. Not night and day but helps.
But the thickness is were it at, which helps fade as has alot more cooling:
Prelude 23mm vs ATR 28mm is 22% thicker giving lots better cooling reducing fade.

I wish i took a photo of the disc thickness next to each other it really is a huge difference. As the cooling fins/veins are lots bigger and the disc face itself looks the same thickness as the lude. Ok im off to photoshop to make a diagram lol..

Ok so the difference in the middle where the cooling veins are is from:
8mm standard lude discs to 13mm ATR discs which is about 63% better cooling ;)

Diagram: (might not be 100% accurate but you get the idea)

Hope this helps others who want a cheap brake upgrade which makes a big difference without having to bleed your brakes. Which for an average mechanic can be quite daunting. This took me less than a hour to do on a driveway. So even a DIY mechanic could have this done quickly. Maybe a hour a side if its your first time doing brakes.

Thanks.

Merlin
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:37 pm

I have found that carriers by themselves are very rare, although I bough my ATR calipers and carriers separately.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:00 pm

Alot of us have been rocking ATR front brakes since the early Victorian times. ;)

nitin_s1
PSN GamerTag: N171N

Post by nitin_s1 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:05 pm

RattyMcClelland wrote:Alot of us have been rocking ATR front brakes since the early Victorian times. ;)
I was born with an ATR brake set up.. 8-)

crxdriver

Post by crxdriver » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:45 pm

But for people with less know how this is a good thing to do. It also explains why it is a lot better over the standard brakes without being massive 330s and expensive ;) Simple thread. Without pages to read through. I know a lot of you already run them. But i just wanted to lay out a simple thread without pages of reading for less mechanically minded folk. Unless i missed something and there is already a thread the same as this?

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:26 pm

We did have a full picture by picture guide over on Preludeuk before it wents tits up and we all congragated here in 2010.

The jist was in this thread.

Clicky

Did you take any photos? it would be great to do a guide again for this site for other people.

crxdriver

Post by crxdriver » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:30 pm

Yes it seems most of the info is in there. Unfortunately i didnt take any pictures but a friend is going to get a lude soon as he loves mine. He is also planning on doing the brakes so will be sure to take photos if that ever happens.

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:16 am

The ATR upgrade is a good one.

I destroyed a set of bog standard pads from almost new to 1mm in a single day, and they overheated numerous times. I think the quality of the components on a standard setup is a lot to do with it. You can probably increase your brake performance simply by buying good stuff. A lot of parts (for hondas/Rovers etc) are interchangeable, so you get a lot of cheap ebay crap.

That said, decent discs/pads/fluids will help, but on my h22a5 lude at castle coombe, they still overheated badly after 3 or 4 laps with some horrible juddering (that ended up destroying my cat).

the ATR set up on the other hand is delightful. I rebuilt with new pistons and seals, ds2500 pads, drilled/grooved discs, and rb600 fluid, and they never gave one hint of letting up - very happy. The bigger calipers also fit under the standard 16inch wheels (although not if they have used big balance weights on the inside).
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Andyjess666

Post by Andyjess666 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:07 am

What about if you have 4 lugs on a 2.0 rather than the 5 on a 2.2 is there a upgrade for that

newkid
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: spaz_ma_taz

Post by newkid » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:08 pm

Andyjess666 wrote:What about if you have 4 lugs on a 2.0 rather than the 5 on a 2.2 is there a upgrade for that
Yes. There 262 to start with. Even getting the 282s makes a huge difference.

Calipers/carriers of a breaker. Any vtec prelude will do. 4th gen 282 discs and pads. You’ll need to slightly modify the backing plate. Made a huge difference to my old bb9. Hated the 262s on that.

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”